The Smithsonian’s Museum Conservation Institute (MCI) is offering short-term opportunities to work on conservation and conservation research projects with conservators of art and historic works. These internships are intended mainly for the summer of 2018, but consideration will be given to projects at other times during the year. Preference will be given to applicants interested in a career in conservation, those currently enrolled in conservation training programs, and graduate students in related subjects. A stipend may be offered for a period of up to 10 weeks.
Successful applicants will contact the following potential supervisors in advance of application and specify them in the application:
- Mary Ballard, Senior Textiles Conservator, 301-238-1210, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shannon Brogdon-Grantham, Photo and Paper Conservator, 301-238-1241, email@example.com
- Carol Grissom, Senior Objects Conservator, 301-238-1236, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jessica S. Johnson, Head of Conservation, 301-238-1218, email@example.com
- Rebecca Kaczkowski, Preventive Conservator, 301-238-1242, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dawn Rogala, Paintings Conservator, 301-238-1255, email@example.com
- Jia-Sun Tsang, Senior Paintings Conservator (modern and contemporary paintings treatment and research), 301-238-1231, firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be made on line through SOLAA (https://solaa.si.edu) by February 25, 2018; select the option for the Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute Conservation of Art and Historic Works Intern Program. Special skill sets and experience relevant to conservation should be indicated on the application, such as fiber art skills for an internship in textile conservation. Selected candidates will be interviewed by telephone, although MCI visits are welcome.
Those interested in working under the supervision of scientists at MCI may apply separately through SOLAA for a different MCI internship, 2018 Smithsonian Museum Conservation Institute Analytical Studies Intern Program, and should specify that program on the application.