- Closing date: October 31, 2017
- Six month fixed term
- Salary: GBP 17,000 pro rata
- Location: Doddington Hall, Doddington, Lincolnshire, LN6 4RU
As part of an innovative HLF funded project (‘See, Sew, Save the Doddington Tapestries’) run by the Doddington Hall Conservation Charity, a number of opportunities have arisen to join a team working on the conservation of a set of C17 Flemish tapestries. The tapestries were cut up and nailed to the walls in 1762. By the C21 the tapestries were filthy and in desperate need of conservation. In 2014 they were removed from the walls and cleaned. Conservation is now taking place on site, in the Drawing Room at Doddington Hall, near Lincoln.
The post holder will undertake conservation treatment of the tapestries, following agreed conservation practice with advice as necessary from a Conservation Consultant. The main task at this stage of the project will be lining all the tapestries from the Yellow Bedroom and recreating the 1760’s fitted scheme. At times you may be working on public view and may be required to explain and demonstrate the conservation process.? You will be part of a team of 3-4 people.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- To have completed a recognized textile conservation course or general conservation course with a specialism in textiles through work placement or internship.
- Excellent needlework skills, good team-working, organisational, written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Must be comfortable working at heights from a scaffold tower.
- A good level of understanding of best practice conservation techniques. Some experience of working in a textile conservation studio post training.
- Tapestry conservation experience.
- Valid Driving Licence
Interviews will be held on November 23 and 24 at Doddington Hall.
For more details please see below links:
- Blog: www.doddingtonhall.com/blog/?event_category=conservation
- Instagram: www.instagram.com/conservation_at_doddington/
Application Instructions: To apply send your CV, including a 500 word statement detailing your practical experience and your current salary details to Louise Joynson, email@example.com.