- Position open until filled
Judd Foundation was created in 1996 with the mission to maintain and preserve Donald Judd’s permanently installed living and working spaces, libraries, and archives in Marfa Texas and New York. The Foundation promotes a wider understanding of Judd’s artistic legacy by providing access to these spaces and resources and by developing scholarly and educational programs. The Foundation is a 501 (c)(3) non-profit organization.
Position and Responsibilities: The Conservator, based in Marfa, Texas, will manage the long-term preservation of the Foundation’s collection of art and objects permanently installed and stored in properties in Marfa and at 101 Spring Street in New York. The collection is comprised of a wide range of organic and inorganic materials, including sculpture, paintings, works on paper, furniture, books, photographs, textiles, and ethnographic objects. The Conservator will report to the Director of Operations and Co-Presidents, and will work closely with Collections and Facilities staff and the Archives and Research departments of the Foundation.
Collection Preservation and Conservation
- Manage and conduct the preventative conservation program of the Foundation and routine maintenance and cleaning of the installed collection.
- Supervise the Collections Assistant and manage specialist conservation consultants.
- Advise Foundation staff on the proper care and maintenance of the collection.
- Conduct treatments on artworks, continue research, and develop guidance on best practices for the preservation and conservation of the collection and Judd artworks.
- Oversee environmental monitoring of the installed spaces and provide conservation expertise to the architectural preservation and restoration of the Foundation’s Marfa properties.
- Advise and assist with the installation of Judd artworks in conjunction with Foundation staff.
- Advise and assist with the preservation and conservation of archival materials including photographic and film materials in conjunction with the Archivist.
- Manage the conservation and collection budgets and conservation studio in Marfa Texas.
Loans and Exhibitions
- Oversee the loan and movement of artworks between Foundation properties and to national and international museum and gallery exhibitions including: assessment of venues, condition reporting, organization of appropriate transport and storage and the preparation of loan documentation.
Qualifications: Candidates will have a master’s degree / Ph.D. from a recognized art conservation program and a minimum of 5 years practical experience of collection care and conservation. Demonstrated experience of the treatment of modern and contemporary art is required.
Additional qualifications include:
- Knowledge of a wide range of materials and conservation techniques
- Excellent writing and verbal skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Ability to manage budgets
- Experience with Filemaker Pro databases, and MS Office and Adobe software
Location: The Conservator will be based in Marfa, Texas with annual travel to 101 Spring Street, New York; and national and international travel as required.
Salary: Competitive and commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package offered.
Procedure for application: Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter. Recommendations for candidates are also welcome. No phone calls please. Send applications or recommendations to: email@example.com. Please write: “Conservator” in the subject line.
Judd Foundation is an equal opportunity employer.