Position open until filled.
Full time, Exempt Position (Benefits Eligible)
The Intermuseum Conservation Association (ICA), a regional not-for-profit art conservation center established in 1952 located on the near Westside of Cleveland, just minutes from downtown, is seeking a conservator of paper-based materials to carry out examinations and conservation treatments, and to assist in the preservation planning for the paper-based collections of the ICA’s 40 member institutions as well as varied private and corporate clients.
The Paper Conservator has responsibilities which involve the examination and treatment of artwork at the ICA facility and on site. S/he will participate as necessary in the implementation and oversight of conservation projects which involve coordinating staff and subcontractors. S/he interacts professionally with board and committee members, clients and the general public. S/he agrees to abide by the AIC (American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works) Code of Ethics and Guidelines for Practice.
This position reports to the Executive Director of the ICA.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Carry out examinations and conservation treatments on artwork from the collections of private and public institutions, corporations, government agencies and private collectors.
- Conduct research to determine appropriate interpretation of the object and to support the recommended treatment.
- Prepare cost and time estimates for conservation projects and preservation assessments. Assemble bids for Request for Proposals (RFPs). Coordinate with Registrar to communicate with clients.
- Perform on site field work which may involve collections surveys, examination, and treatment.
- Participate in interdepartmental projects as needed. Act as lead conservator for such projects when appropriate.
- Supervise conservation support staff (assistants, preparators, interns, volunteers). Manage and oversee subcontractors for commercial and industrial processes involved in treatments, shipping, and installations.
- Monitor condition of objects in storage and perform appropriate housekeeping of the area.
- Stay current with theoretical discourse and best practices in the field through literature review and attending presentations, conferences and mid-career training.
- Interact professionally with a broad range of clients concerning conservation and preservation projects, both in person and over the phone/email.
- Prepare documentation for grant applications in which the ICA is included, and review grant applications if requested by the client.
- Actively participate in the ICA’s educational programs, including teaching classes, giving lectures and leading tours.
- Participate in board and staff committee work.
- Assist in interviewing and hiring new staff.
- Represent the ICA in meetings with potential clients, donors and other professionals.
- Master’s degree from a recognized training program in conservation or equivalent experience. Experience in treating Asian Art would be desirable.
- Experience working in the field of conservation either in an institutional or private practice setting. Title and salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Adobe Photoshop desirable.
- Travel to onsite projects in surrounding region required.
Send letter of interest and CV to:
Attn: Andrea Chevalier, Senior Conservator
ICA – Art Conservation
2915 Detroit Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44113, USA